Old Police Stables - Dodds Street Police Stables transformed for VCA
Transformation of the historic Dodds Street Police Stables into new student artist studios, Faculty work and meeting spaces, performance space and walkways open to the public. Designed by Kerstin Thompson Architect, the $40 million project is supported by The Ian Potter Foundation and Myer Foundation and family. The redevelopment will provide a new entry point to the Southbank campus.
Artists's impression of the Old Police Stables, courtesy of Kerstin Thompson Architects.
Designed by Kerstin Thompson architects, the Old Police Stables on Dodds Street are currently being transformed into a visual arts wing, creating a new entry point into the University and opening the Southbank campus to students, local businesses and residents.
To be opened in 2018, the refurbished Old Police Stables will provide new art studios, exhibition spaces and office accommodation for VCA Art and a flexible performance area for general use.
The heritage features of the Old Police Stables are maintained through the preservation of its bluestone mounting yards, red brick façade and unique octagonal roof and skylight. The stable’s stalls will be repurposed as student artist studios.
The $40 million redevelopment was made possible thanks to the generous $10 million philanthropic donations from the Myer Foundation, the Ian Potter Foundation and Martyn and Louise Myer.
Feedback and Consultation
The Southbank Campus Redevelopment program has been undertaken in close collaboration with the Victorian State Government, our philanthropic partners, the University of Melbourne, Faculty staff and students, and our Southbank neighbours.
To discuss the project, ask questions or give feedback please contact our project team at email@example.com.
- Kerstin Thompson Architect
- Ian Potter Foundation
- Myer Foundation
- Martyn & Louise Myer
- New entry to the Southbank Campus
- Public walkways
- New art studios
- Exhibition spaces
- Office accommodation for VCA Art
- Flexible performance area for general use
- The new Dodds Street Police Stables will create public performance, event and exhibition spaces while providing a new entry to the Southbank Campus
- It will cater for an expected 20% increase in student numbers from 2010 to 2020
- $40 million
- Construction commenced June 2016
- Completion 2018
- $10 million philanthropic donations from the Myer Foundation, the Ian Potter Foundation and Martyn and Louise Myer Ian Potter Foundation
- University of Melbourne
- Victorian Government