Applications open for ACMI X Artist Residency program
28 Oct 2016
The University of Melbourne and Faculty of VCA & MCM seeks Expressions of Interest for the ACMI X Artist Studio Program 2017.
As part of the University of Melbourne partnership with the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), the Faculty of VCA & MCM and the Faculty of Arts have sponsored five permanent desks within ACMI X.
The Faculty of VCA & MCM seeks expressions of interest from current staff, students and alumni to be part of an exciting new initiative to set up their own workspace or desk within the ACMI X studio at Southbank for a period of 12 months, with four of these desks available to our Faculty.
What is the residency?
This residency aims to create opportunities for Faculty of VCA & MCM and Faculty of Arts (School of Culture and Communication) staff, students and alumni to:
- Develop stronger links, joint projects and collaborations across both faculties
- Gain access to, and nurture talent in a professional working environment in the creative industry sector.
The successful applicants to this program will be supplied with a permanent (12 months) ACMI X workstation sponsored by the University of Melbourne, with benefits including:
- A curated events program and access to industry networking
- Access to the ACMI Library and high speed internet
- Access to printers and scanners charged pro rata, (desk users will bring their own device)
- Access to communal meeting areas, social hub and kitchen cafe areas with free espresso coffee machine
- Fair use free meeting room access
- Bike parking, discounted car parking, standing desks, showers
- Lockable storage
- Business mailing address
- Discounted access to ACMI spaces (cinemas, state of the art media and production studios, event spaces) & catering for beta testing and events. Discounts and offers from our cultural, industry and festival partners.
- Invitations to networking and industry events - access to exhibition launches and private views
- 24/7 access to ACMI X
Who can apply?
The program is open to Faculty of VCA & MCM staff, students and alumni from all artistic disciplines creating projects around, or undertaking research into, the moving image and digital arts technologies.
Filmmakers, animators, digital and visual artists, digital producers, web and game developers, composers, choreographers, screenwriters, theatre-makers and designers working with the moving image are encouraged to apply.
The residency offers access to the ACMI X co-working workspace for a period of 12 months from March 2017.
Applicants can apply as individuals or as a project team of up to three people.
The Faculty of VCA & MCM Selection Panel will support projects that deliver research outputs and/ or a creative project aligned with ACMI’s broad aims of making, showing and engaging with the moving image in all its forms.
Applicants should also detail whether their project has any alignment with other University of Melbourne faculties. E.g. Faculty of Arts, Melbourne School of Engineering, Melbourne School of Design.
When to apply
Applications are now open and close on 9 December 2016.
Applicants will be notified on the outcome of their application by 25 January 2017.
The 12-month residency will commence 1 March 2017.
How to apply
Apply via the online form and include:
- A short bio of your background, education, areas of research or interest.
- A project description telling us what you intend to do during the residency.
- An outline of the potential creative partnerships that you plan to develop while at ACMI X
- Proposals for hub events and project presentations you aim to hold during the residency
- The name and contact details of a referee from a current VCA & MCM staff member
- How many days per week would you regularly access the ACMI X Studio? (e.g. One day a week). Please detail how often/what days of the week/more intense periods of hub interaction etc.
- CV (no more than two pages)
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will be subject to the terms and conditions of the Faculty of VCA & MCM and of ACMI X Membership.
For more information about ACMI X, please visit the ACMI X website.
For more information about this residency program, please contact email@example.com.