Academic skills and resources

Library skills classes

  • Library's information skills classes are run to assist researchers use the library resources. Brush up on some of the skills you need to make effective use of the University Library.

Online library tutorials

  • The University Libraries and Cultural Collections on campuses compliment the needs of current researchers, with catalogue access, Thesis Repositories, Skills Classes, Online Tutorials for library research, EndNote and refWorks training.
  • LibGuides is a comprehensive website including research assistance, subject guides, and useful resources compiled by friendly librarians.

Faculty research bulletin

  • The Research Office compiles and distributes a Weekly Graduate Research Bulletin to assist graduate researchers with identifying training, skills and funding opportunities to augment your study. The Bulletin is sent to all enrolled graduate researchers and their supervisors. The Bulletin covers university service providers, special opportunities and external activities and deadlines.

Health and wellbeing resources

Student Services website

  • Looking for help, but not sure which of the many services offered by the University might be best? Visit the new Student Services Finder  to search for services by topic, keyword or issue.

University of Melbourne Health Service (Doctors)

  • The University of Melbourne Health Service provides health care for both local and international students, staff and their dependents. The University Health Service is a general practitioner service. Some of the services provided include management of illness, advice about general health and wellbeing, mental health issues including anxiety and depression, contraception, sexual health, wound care, skin cancer checks, travel health and immunisations for both adults and children. The University Health Service also refers to outside specialists when necessary. There are male and female doctors available and you are usually able to see the doctor of your choice.

Fees for UoM students:

  • Students with a current Medicare card are bulk-billed
  • Students with OSHC Worldcare are direct billed to the insurance company
  • Students with other overseas insurance cover pay their fee on attendance and claim the rebate from their insurance provider.

Financial Aid 

  • Financial Aid provides advice and information on the cost of living in Melbourne, student loans and grants, government student assistance, budgeting, tax, and on a range of other matters related to student finances.

Student Union Legal Service

  • The Student Union Legal Service provides confidential legal advice and assistance to all students at the University of Melbourne. The service encourages and supports students in solving their own legal and related problems. As we aim to provide advice to as many students as possible, ongoing legal assistance in individual cases is not normally available. The assistance provided by the service is different from legal aid, which is dispensed under the guidelines of the Legal Aid Commission.

Children's services

  • The University has provided child care facilities since late 1970. Several types of services have operated over the years from different sites. The two current centres: Swanston Street Children's Centre and Queensberry Children's Centre have operated from those sites since 1980 and 1995 respectively, providing a total of 138 long day care places for the University Community.

Disability Liaison Services

  • Disability Liaison assists current and prospective students with an ongoing health condition to access services and support. There are a range of services and support that Disability Liaison may be able to provide. Please be aware that these services will not be appropriate to all students. All students need to negotiate appropriate support with their Disability Liaison Officer (DLO) and provide relevant documentation supporting the need for a particular service.

Phone: 8344 6550


Campus Address: Baldwin Spencer Building, Corner of Tin Alley & Union Road, Parkville Campus

University of Melbourne Counselling Service

  • Counselling and Psychological Services is a part of Student Services which consists of a number of specialist areas that are complementary and together provide for the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our community.

Wilin Centre

  • For 10 years the Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts has connected Indigenous visual, design and performing artists with a pathway to their future in the arts. Situated at the heart of Melbourne's arts precinct, the Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts fosters innovation in the research, development, advocacy and presentation of Indigenous cultural expressions.

Murrup Barak Indigenous Student Programs

  • The Murrup Barak Indigenous Student Programs provides Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students both undergraduate and graduate with a range of support services. These include the Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme, Indigenous Scholarship Program and assistance with student transition, integration, student experience activities and study spaces.

Graduate Student Association

  • The University of Melbourne Graduate Student Association Inc. (GSA) is the student representative body for postgraduates at the University of Melbourne. GSA has over 13,000 members including all Graduate Diploma, Postgrad Diploma, Masters, PhD and other doctoral students. GSA speaks up within the University and in the wider community to help postgraduates and improve postgraduate education, research and welfare. There are many different ways for postgraduate students to be involved in your GSA: attend a GSA event, join a GSA committee, start a graduate group!