DR GRAEME COUNSELView on Find an Expert
- African studies, cultural policy, ethnicity and identity (Mande diaspora, griots, West African musical traditions)
- Cultural Anthropology (Cultural festivals, Arts and cultural policy, Nationalism and identity)
- Ethnomusicology (African and Trans-Atlantic musics, World Music)
- Sound archives (National and local archives)
- Musicology and Ethnomusicology
- Archival, Repository and Related Studies
- Arts and Cultural Policy
- Understanding Africa's Past
Available for supervisionYes.
My research interests cover the music, culture and politics of Africa, with particular reference to West Africa. Trans-Atlantic music styles (jazz, blues, reggae, Cuban music, etc) are also research areas, with cultural policy a central discourse.
Contact DetailsPhone Number: 83448323
Authored Research Books
Journal Articles Refereed
Major Reference Works
Authored Books Other
Research Book Chapters
Journal Articles Unrefereed
Journal Articles Unrefereed Letters or Notes
Full Written Papers Refereed
Book Chapters Other
Education and Training
- Graduate Certificate in University Teaching GCUT , University of Melbourne, 2015
- Doctor of Philosophy PhD , University of Melbourne, 2007
- Master of Music MMus , University of Melbourne, 2000
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours BA (Hons) , Monash University, 1997
Awards and honours
- Diplome d'Honneur. Ministere de la Culture des Arts et Loisirs, Republique de Guinee, 2008
- Australian Postgraduate Award, 2003
- Melbourne Abroad Postgraduate Travelling Scholarship, 2001
- Ernst Morawetz Prize, 1996
Major Research Project Award. Endangered Archives Programme, British Library. 2009.
Major Research Project Award. Endangered Archives Programme, British Library. 2008.