MR ROBERT WALTONView on Find an Expert
- Creativity and Emerging Media (Performance, Art, Installation, Smartphones, Mobile Screens, Transmedia, Tablets, Immersion)
- Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies (Contemporary Practices, Actor Training, Performance Making)
- Live Art (Contemporary Practices, immersive performance, intimate performance, site specific performance, physical theatre, performance art, body art)
Robert's core studio practice is as a director in experimental theatre and live art. However throughout his career he has also created interdisciplinary works that are more difficult to categorise including correspondence projects, durational performances, events for small groups or one-to-ones, interactive encounters and work with portable media devices. He has created performances and installations for a wide range of unconventional sites including cafes, restaurants, bars, schools, youth hostels, gardens, national parks, public toilets, shops, supermarkets and streets.
Robert moved from Glasgow, Scotland to join the VCA in April 2011. In Glasgow he was Associate Head of Performance at The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. Robert was the Programme Leader for RSAMDs BA Contemporary Performance Practice programme.
Robert trained as a theatre maker at Dartington College of Arts (England), Hoogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht (The Netherlands) and TheaterForumKreuzberg (Germany) and was recently described by The Times (London) as "an original and talented thinker and theatre-maker."
In 2001 Robert co-founded Reader Performance Group (readreader.org) and took a central role devising and performing in each of the groups 16 performance projects until the company's dissolution in 2005. In 2005 Robert co-founded "Scotland's Live Art super group" (The Skinny Magazine) Fish & Game (fishandgame.org.uk) with long-term collaborator Eilidh MacAskill and was the company's Co-Artistic Director until 2013. With Fish & Game he has directed and toured a wide range of work that has been described as "hilariously funny and pungently perceptive" (The Herald) and which "anyone who is remotely serious about theatre in Scotland should see" (The Times).
In 2011 Robert created Alma Mater "the world's first piece of iPad theatre" (The Independent). He is currently working with Arts House on In Your Hands, a major three year digital theatre project that received $250,000 funding from The Australia Council Theatre Board.
Robert has received many awards, commissions and residencies as a professional artist including Made in Scotland 2011, IETM Glasgow Artistic Programme Commission, Scottish Arts Council (SAC) Seed Funding, SAC Touring Funding, Tramway Dark Lights Commission, Tramway Surge! Commission, Centre for Contemporary Art Creative Lab Residency (two consecutive years), The Arches: Arches Live! Commission, Royal College of Art Commission, West Space Gallery Residency (Melbourne).
Robert also holds a Master of Science degree in Information Technology (Software and Systems) from The University of Glasgow. From 2004-2011 Robert was the Lead Programmer for New Work Network (newworknetwork.org.uk).
In 2010 Robert completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Arts Education at RSAMD. His main concern as a teacher is the development of innovative curricula that meet the needs for artists in the twenty-first century.
Robert sits on the Curatorial Advisory Board for Next Wave and is an Artistic Counsel Member for St Martins Youth Arts Centre.
Robert is currently curating Hot: New Dance and Performance from Australia for Glasgow 2014, The XXth Commonwealth Games.
- Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
- The Performing Arts (incl. Theatre and Dance)
- Interactive Media
Available for supervisionYes.
Robert welcomes research proposals from students who are interested in creative, practice-led projects particularly in the fields of live art, contemporary theatre, experimental performance, multimedia and transmedia performance, performance art, intimate and immersive performance, body art, and actor and performer training.
Contact DetailsPhone Number: +61396859278
Media Only contact?: Y
Full Written Papers Refereed
Computer Software Products
Research Book Chapters
Journal Articles Refereed
Education and Training
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Arts Education PGCERT , Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, 2011
- Master of Science Information Technology MSC , The University of Glasgow, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Theatre BA (Hons) , Dartington College of Arts, 2001
Awards and honours
- Regional Training and Engagement Fund - FRISK: Festival of New Work (Natimuk), Creative Victoria and The Victorian College of the Arts, 2015
- Digital Theatre Fund with Arts House Melbourne, Australia Council For The Arts, 2014
- Regional Training and Engagement Fund - ‘Three Performances of Community’ project in partnership with Centre for Cultural Partnerships, Creative Victoria and The Victorian College of the Arts, 2013
- Conference and Creative Research Activity Fund, University of Melbourne, 2012
- Made in Scotland - Curated Edinburgh Festivals Showcase Fund, Creative Scotland, 2011
- National Touring Fund, Scottish Arts Council, 2008
- SURGE! Commission, Tramway, Glasgow, 2006
- Creative Lab Residency 2005 (year long), Centre for Contemporary Art, 2005
- Creative Lab Residency 2004 (year long), Centre for Contemporary Art, 2004
- Dark Lights Commission, Tramway, Glasgow, 2003