In March 2000 Su Baker took up the position as Head of the School of Art, Victorian College of the Arts, University of Melbourne. In addition to her role as Head of the School of Art, Su Baker has held senior management roles at the VCA, including the Deputy Chair of the Board of Studies, and has been part of the Integration Implementation Planning Committee, overseeing the structural transition of the VCA into the University of Melbourne and in 2006 was appointed Associate Dean, Research and Research Training for the VCA. In 2010, Su Baker was appointed Director of the Victorian College of the Arts, University of Melbourne.
Su Baker is a leading arts academic and artist, who is called upon for expert advice and has written on the shifting needs of arts education and the role of the Art School in the 21st Century, including “Art School 2.0 : Art Schools in the Information Age or Reciprocal Relations and the Art of the Possible”, in Rethinking the Contemporary Art School, The Artist, the PhD and the Academy, NSCAD Press, 2009. She has been Chair of the Australian Council of University Art and Design Schools (2004-2008). Through this role she played an active role in the recognition of the research in the Creative Arts advising the ARC in the development of the RQF and the recent ERA process. Her work in these roles has led to the establishment of the new Council of Deans and Directors of Creative Arts, to which she was elected President in February 2013.
Su Baker has exhibited nationally over the last 20 years in public and commercial galleries, including numerous solo and selected group exhibitions and national survey shows including in a number of curated exhibitions at State Galleries and significant contemporary art venues. These include Perspecta '89 at the Art Gallery of NSW and Dissonance, at Artspace in Sydney 1991. First solo exhibition in 1983 at Galerie Dusseldorf, Perth, and has exhibited regularly in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. In 2001 Galerie Dusseldorf on Perth, ALLAN BAKER + SU BAKER, a show of work by father and daughter.
Since 2007 Su has been represented and exhibited with John Buckley Gallery in Melbourne.
Available for supervisionYes.
Contact DetailsPhone Number: 61 3 9035 9464
Publications of Creative Research
Full Written Papers Unrefereed
Research Book Chapters
Full Written Papers Refereed
Creative Exhibited Works
Education and Training
- Doctorate of Creative Arts DCA , Curtin University of Technology, 2004
- Postgraduate Diploma in Visual Art PGradDipVisArt , University of Sydney, 1984
- Graduate Diploma in Education Grad Dip Ed , Curtin University of Technology, 1980
- Bachelor of Fine Arts BFA , Curtin University of Technology, 1978
Awards and honours
- Australia Council for the Arts, 2000
- Benchmarking quality assessment tasks to facilitate interdisciplinary learning in the creative arts and humanities ( Innovation & Development ) awarded by MONASH UNIVERSITY, 2014-2016
- The Creative Arts Learning and Teaching Network (CALTN) ( Discipine Learning and Teaching Networks ) awarded by AUST LEARNING AND TEACHING COUNCIL LTD, 2017-2017
- In 2000 she spent time at the Milan Studio, granted from the Australia Council where she developed new work exhibited at Boutwell Draper Gallery in Sydney in 2001. In 2003 Su Baker received an Australia Council for the Arts New Work Grant, Visual Arts Grants for the exhibition of new work, Mise-en-scene: Reflections on the Screen, and Serious Pleasure, at John Curtin Gallery, in 2004. Previously, in 1996 she won the Portia Geach Memorial Award, and in 1991 was awarded the Overseas Development Grant, Italian Studio, VACB, from the Australia Council, in 1987 was awarded the Half Standard Grant, Visual Arts/Craft Board, Australia Council, and in 1987 a Project Grant, Visual Arts Board, Australia Council. ( ) awarded by , 2017-2017